Thursday, February 23, 2012

How do I get information on a deceased soldier?

My grandfather died in 1990. He was a WWII veteran. I am wanting to get information about his tours of duty and service history, but not sure how to get it? Does anyone know where to start?How do I get information on a deceased soldier?You can start with the National Personnel Records Center (I linked them below). They now allow family members of deceased veterans to get the official records. You may run into a problem known as the Fire of 1973 (many official records were destroyed in this disaster). If this is the case with your grandfather's records, click on the "Fire of 1973" link (on the left side) and it will take you to a page where there is another link for locations of alternate sources for those records and give you tips on how to reconstruct the information. Please pass on my grateful appreciation to your family for his and their service.

No comments:

Post a Comment